From software creation to marketing, IT plays a huge role in creating great experiences for users. Creating services and products that eliminate friction is something that companies continue to invest in.
But, as you already know, the web is quite messy. With over 200 million active websites and 1.8 billion active web applications, the only way to stand out from the crowd is creativity. And to be creative, you should be aware of the latest technologies and trends. We are going to show you the web and mobile development trends that are expected to change the way people think about IT development in 2020.
Top 5 Web Development Trends
1. Chatbots as a new online support paradigm The evolution of the technology behind chatbots and online attendees is so important in the coming years. Chatbots and online assistants are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and, depending on how advanced they are, they can answer simple questions or direct people to certain products and pages.
For example, a couple of years ago, Lego created a Facebook Messenger chatbot to help attract fans and help customers during the holiday season. The gift bot named Ralph was able to research Lego's massive inventory and make gift suggestions to match age or preference.
As you can imagine, the ease with the chatbots offer site visitors, as well as the excellent sales opportunities they provide to business owners, make their development incremental now and in the future years.
2. Progressive Web Apps What makes progressive web apps so desirable among businesses is the fact that they offer an almost identical experience to mobile apps, even to users with low-specification smartphones. In addition, they can work with low bandwidth and, when installed in the browser, they can also be used without an Internet connection.
As you can see, the new possibilities they offer are significant. Therefore, large companies such as Google, have already started employing them to their benefit. Take for example the Google Maps Progressive App for Android Go smartphones, that allows the user to use almost all basic functionalities that appear on the mobile app.
3. Motion User Interface Worldwide companies are looking for creative ways to make them stand out from the crowded web. Motion UI, the creation of animated user interfaces, will be a growing trend in the following year as it helps bring digital products to life. By doing so it creates a great user experience.
In terms of web development, Motion UI is perceived as a fast-growing library, as it allows developers to animate content (fonts, colours, space, etc.) with ease, even without a solid foundation in the JS library or jQuery.
4. Responsive Web Design Maybe, it is surprising that responsive design is still a trend and not a web design and development fundamental. Nevertheless, in 2020, the responsive-first web development trend will rise as users expect to have a seamless and curated experience from the sites they visit when they are on the go.
This means that now teams that build online products have to prioritize mobile experience over desktop when it comes to UI design, content format and add-ons such as plugins and widgets.
5. Voice Search Voice Search as a hot trend for 2020 is not a surprise. Digital voice assistants are becoming very popular and when people start to use them right, they will present countless opportunities.
First, they are affordable, smartphones are already equipped with them and domestic smart speakers are not very costly. But most importantly they are easy to use which means that seniors will be able to interact with them without having to learn new tricks.
For all the above reasons, voice search has been a major trend in eCommerce web development, but it can also be applied to all type of businesses. This means that companies who want to stay ahead of the game will aim to optimize their companies' websites for voice search.
Top 5 Mobile Development Trends
1. App Development for new Foldable Devices The new trend that will be amazing to watch for mobile apps development in 2020 is the seamless foldable device apps development using the screen continuity API. At the Android Summit, Samsung declared about hundreds of the popular Android apps that are already being optimized for Samsung Fold.
2. 5G usage for Augmented and Virtual Reality During 2020 and the next years, 5G connectivity is expected to have global coverage. The rise of 5G will enhance the power of Virtual and Augmented Reality application development.
Therefore, software developers whose expertise lies in this segment should tie their shoelaces! Exploring game-based apps in AR, VR and visiting virtual venues will be the best things to keep in mind in 2020.
3. Artificial Intelligence Do you know about the popular mobile application ‘FaceApp’ that was in the news around 2019? It is one of the fantastic examples of using AI in smart mobile application development. AI is growing huge and aids mobile developers and businesses in many ways.
As per reports stated more than 80% of customer interactions will be done by AI in 2022. When Google itself is digging deep for AI and MI, why can’t the mobile app startups do the same for getting more exposure and benefits?
4. Chatbots, the next Ambassador for your Brand Cost savings is the first and most important thing that each company requires to stay competitive in the market.
And Chatbot is the perfect tool to save costs with its amazing AI. Starbuck is the perfect example with a chatbot app called "My Starbucks Barista" that helps customers order coffee the way they want.
Industry experts estimate that over 70% of brands will opt for chatbots by the end of 2021 .
5. e-Payments and Mobile Wallets Digital payments are increasing year by year thanks to its convenience and ease of use. The equation is very simple, more smartphone usage = more of use of digital payment. With the growing era of smartphones, the use of digital and mobile wallets has enhanced tremendously. According to reports published, the mobile wallet transaction is forecasted to reach $ 3142 billion by 2022.